Is On-line Learning for You?
On-line learning will require you, the student, to take more control of your own learning environment. To do that, a bit of self knowledge is needed and that is what this section is about.
Everyone learns in different ways. Here is one possible model for learning styles with a bit of explanation for each:
Verbal/Linguistic Learner – Word Smart This student:
- good at memorizing names, places, dates and trivia.
- learns best by saying, hearing and seeing words.
- enjoys reading, writing and telling stories.
Logical/Mathematic Learner – Number Smart
- good at math, reasoning, logic and problem solving.
- learns best by categorizing, classifying and working with abstract patterns/relationships.
- likes to do experiments, figure things out, work with numbers, ask questions and explore patterns and relationships.
Spatial/Visual Learner – Sight Smart
- good at imagining things, sensing changes, doing mazes/puzzles and reading maps, charts.
- enjoys drawing, building, designing and creating things, daydreaming, looking at pictures/slides, watching movies and playing with machines.
- learns best by visualizing, dreaming, using the mind’s eye and working with colors/pictures.
Musical/Rhythmic Learner – Sound Smart
- good at picking up sounds, remembering melodies, noticing pitches/rhythms and keeping time.
- likes to sing, hum tunes, listen to music, play an instrument and respond to music.
- learns best by rhythm, melody and music.
Bodily/Kinesthetic Learner - Body Smart
- good at physical activities (sports/dance/acting) and crafts
- likes to move around, touch and talk and use body language.
- learns best by touching, moving, interacting with space and processing knowledge through bodily sensations.
Naturalistic Learner – Nature Smart
- good at categorizing, organizing a living area,planning a trip, preservation, and conservation.
- enjoys the outdoors, being with animals, geography, weather and interacting with the surroundings.
- learns best by: studying natural phenomenon, in a natural setting, learning about how things work.
Interpersonal Learner – People Smart
- igood at understanding people, leading others, organizing, communicating, manipulating and mediating conflicts.
- likes to have lots of friends, talk to people and join groups.
- learns best by sharing, comparing, relating, cooperating and interviewing.
Intrapersonal Learner – Self Smart
- good understanding self, focusing inward on feelings/dreams, following instincts, pursuing interests/goals and being original
- likes to work alone and pursue own interests.
- learns best by working alone on individualized projects, self-paced instruction and having own space.